Healthy New Year
Cookbook editor and travel writer Alison Lewis shares hearty and healthy recipes to kick your resolutions (and energy) into high gear.
Cauliflower Crust Veggie Pizza
Prep: 30 min. • Cook: 36 min. • Yield: 4 servings
1 head cauliflower, stalks removed, cut into florets
1 egg white
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
¼ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano
4 tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil, divided
¼ tsp kosher salt
½ cup homemade marinara or pizza sauce
½ medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
½ medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
¾ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
½ cup chopped onion, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line pizza pan and baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor pulse cauliflower until fine. Place in large microwave safe dish; cover and steam in the microwave 6 minutes. Let cool.
3. In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, eggs, ½ cup mozzarella, Parmesan, garlic, oregano, 2 tbsp. basil and salt. Transfer to center of parchment paper lined pan and spread into a 10″ circle, resembling a pizza crust. Bake for 20 minutes.
4. Top with remaining cheese, basil and sprinkle evenly with bell peppers, mushrooms and onion, if desired. Bake 10 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
New Year’s Good Luck Soup
Prep: 15 min. • Cook: 50 min. • Yield: 4 servings
12 oz. smoked sausage, sliced
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chipped
1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 (14½ oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
5 cups chopped kale or fresh collard greens
1 (15½ oz) can black-eyed peas, rinsed, drained
In a large Dutch oven sauté sausage in hot oil over medium-high heat 5-7 minutes or until browned; drain and return to stove. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic and sauté 5 to 7 minutes more, stirring occasionally until tender. Stir in thyme and red pepper flakes; cook 1 minute more. Add broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil; let simmer over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in kale; reduce heat to low and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add black-eyed peas and cook 5 minutes more. Add lemon juice, salt and red pepper flakes if needed to taste right before serving.
Greek Style Pork
Prep: 20 minutes • Cook: 6 minutes • Yield: 4 servings
4 boneless pork loin chops
1½ tsps Greek seasoning
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp plus 1 tsp fresh lemon juice, divided
6 oz. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1½ cups chopped cucumber, divided
1½ cups diced tomatoes
1/3 cup diced red onion
¼ tsp kosher salt
1. Season pork chops with Greek seasoning, salt and pepper. Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp lemon juice. Place in resalable plastic bag and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, dill, 1/2 cup cucumber, lemon zest, 1 tsp lemon juice and salt, if desired.
3. In another bowl combine tomato, remaining cucumber, red onion, and 1/4 tsp salt.
4. Spray your grill’s cooking grates with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350°F to 400°F).
5. Once preheated, grill pork for 3 minutes on each side or until an instant thermometer registers 140°F. Remove pork from pan and serve with tomato mixture and tzatziki sauce.
Note: You can also cook this in a skillet over medium-high heat for 3 minutes per side or until an instant thermometer registers 140°F
Easy Kale Salad
Prep: 15 minutes • Yield: 4 servings
3 cups finely chopped kale
2 cups finely chopped arugula
4 radishes, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 avocado, peeled and diced
½ cup chopped, toasted walnuts
1/3 cup dried cranberries or yellow raisins
freshly ground pepper
In a large bowl combine kale, arugula, radishes bell pepper, avocado, walnuts and cranberries. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and pepper; serve immediately.