4 Easy Summer Sweets
Top off the long, lazy days of summer by whipping up one of these mouth-watering treats. Whether you are craving something decadent, fruity, or a combination of both, we’ve got you covered.
1. Frozen Banana-Peanut Butter Cups
1 cup peanut butter
2 cups semisweet or dark chocolate chips, melted
2 bananas, peeled and sliced
1. Place 10 mini cupcake liners on a baking sheet, and spray each evenly with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place peanut butter in a small microwave-safe baking dish. Microwave 10 seconds or until slightly melted and loosened.
3. Spread one teaspoon melted chocolate evenly over each cupcake liner. Top evenly with 2 teaspoons melted peanut butter, spreading over chocolate, and top with remaining chocolate. Cover evenly with banana slices.
4. Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours or overnight. Peel off cupcake liners and serve immediately, or freeze until ready to use. Yields 10 peanut butter cups.
2. Oreo Ice Cream
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups whole milk
1 1/3 cups half-and-half
½ tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. salt
7 Oreo cookies, chopped
1. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light colored. Gradually add sugar, beating well until mixture thickens slightly. Add milk, half-and-half, vanilla, and salt, beating well. Stir in Oreo cookies.
2. Freeze in an ice-cream maker per ice-cream maker instructions. Transfer to an airtight container, and freeze until firm enough to scoop (at least 2 hours). Yields 6 - 8 servings.
3. Key Lime Pie Shooters
1 cup graham crackers crumbs
¼ cup melted butter
1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
½ cup fresh lime juice or key lime juice (about 4 large limes)
1 tsp. freshly grated lime peel
1. In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter, mixing well. Place ⅛ of mixture into 8 small glasses or jars, pressing down mixture with the back of a spoon.
2. Beat sweetened condensed milk and lime juice in small mixer bowl until combined; stir in lime peel. Refrigerate at least one hour. Remove from refrigerator and spoon ⅛ of lime mixture over each dish with graham cracker crust. Top with whipped topping, and serve immediately. Note: If you’re making these ahead, wait to top with whipped topping until the last minute. Yields 8 servings.
4. Peach-Pecan Crisp
4 cups fresh peeled, sliced peaches (about 5 to 6 peaches)
4 tablespoons light brown sugar, divided
1 ¼ cups old-fashioned oats
3 tablespoons shredded coconut
¼ cup coconut oil
1 ½ cups chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350o. Lightly greased a 10-inch iron skillet.
2. Place peaches and 2 tablespoons light brown sugar in lightly greased cast-iron skillet, mixing well.
3. In a small bowl, combine oats, remaining light brown sugar, coconut, and salt, mixing well. Add coconut oil, stirring well. Sprinkle oat mixture evenly over peaches. Sprinkle evenly with pecans. Bake in preheated oven 26 to 28 minutes or until peaches are bubbly and oats are golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or yogurt, if desired. Yields 4 servings.